Objectives and Course Content:
In this class each student discovers through lecture, investigation and inquiry the basic foundations of Physics. Students think scientifically by performing labs, asking questions and defending their own solutions. We will investigate:
- Linear Motion – Chapters 1 & 2
- 2 Dimensional Motion – Chapter 3
- Forces – Chapter 4
- Circular Motion and Gravity – Chapter 7
- Work and Energy – Chapter 5
- Momentum and Collisions – Chapter 6
- Simple Harmonic Motion – Chapter 11
- Mechanical Waves and Sound – Chapters 11 & 12
- Electric Force and Field – Chapter 16
- DC Circuits – Chapters 17 & 18
- Magnetism – Chapter 19
- Rotation – Chapter 7
- Thermodynamics – Chapters 9 & 10
- Light and Optics – Chapters 13, 14, & 15
- Atomic Physics – Chapters 21 & 22
50% – Tests
30% – Daily Grades (Homework, Quizzes, Online Assignments, etc.)
- Homework has a weight of 1x
- Online Assignments have a weight of 2x
- Quizzes have a weight of 3x
20% – Labs
This is a cumulative course. Both semester exams cover all topics previously taught. The final exam is 20% of the semester grade.
Materials Needed Daily for Class:
- Pencils and Eraser
- Scientific Calculator
Tests and Quizzes:
- I will announce the test date at the beginning of each unit so you will have plenty of time to come in for tutoring and review.
- The Stratford High School retesting policy applies to this course.
- Official tutorial times are Tuesday and Thursday after school until 3:30.
All homework will be checked, and is due at the beginning of class. Late homework will not be accepted.
Another component of homework will be online assignments through Quest, a service of the College of Natural Sciences at UT Austin. There will be at least two online assignments per six weeks. Assignments will be due at 11:59pm on the due date. Instructions for signing up for this service are here.
- Science Department test makeups are only on Tuesday after school. See Mr. Avis for the location.