In this PhysicsQuest you will be learning about the basics of magnets and magnetic fields.
- Answer all of the questions on a piece of paper using the links provided. If a link isn’t working, then find another website that can answer the question.
- All answers must be in your own words. Do not just copy and paste to your paper!
- Sketch a bar magnet. Label the poles of the magnet with an “N” and as “S”. Draw magnetic field lines (with direction) around the magnet.
- What arrangement of magnetic poles causes an attractive force?
- What arrangement of magnetic poles causes a repulsive force?
- What creates a magnetic field?
- How is a magnetic field formed by an atom?
- What is the category of materials that magnets stick to? What are some examples of these materials?
- What is a magnetic domain? Sketch two images of a material that has magnetic domains, one that is magnetized and one that is unmagnetized.
- How does an MRI work?
- How often does the Earth’s magnetic field change direction?
- How do scientists know that the magnetic field changes polarity?
- What will happen to us when the magnetic field flips?
Here’s a good 2-minute video from MinutePhysics about magnets and how to destroy them.